1. Hey, Guest! Do you want to chat with us? Then come to the chat thread Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Sugoi Desu, Respected Guest! Please take a moment to register today.

Suggestion Contest voting to scale to participants

Discussion in 'Solved / Implemented' started by Ningen, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutanko bunny ~ (˵ ゚ヮ゚˵)

Trophy Points
    Keno
    1,199ლ
    That's what all the other guys suggested xD
    Well then, does it mean it will be implemented (to see if it's good or not)? :3

2. Rohan Guest

Since it's the middle path it should satisfy everyone. So there should be a trial run of the system.

poutanko likes this.
  3. Ningen NIngenest of them all

Trophy Points
    Keno
    11,356ლ
    Rule of 1/3rd - 1/4th works best for deciding that

amount of entries in that ratio to closest round number

poutanko likes this.
  4. Rohan Guest

I would ask everyone to give an example like I did:-

5. Ningen NIngenest of them all

Trophy Points
    Keno
    11,356ლ
    rule of 3rd

3 and less entries = 1
    4/3 = 1.33 = 1
    5/3 = 1.67 = 2
    6/3 = 2 = 2
    7/3 = 2.3 = 2
    8/3 = 2.67 = 3
    9/3 = 3

and so on.

poutanko and Rohan like this.
  6. Ningen NIngenest of them all

Trophy Points
    Keno
    11,356ლ
    Ofc that is not fixed and per say changeable by host

that is min
    host can have more as per his discretion if he thinks quality is worth it

Like I gave 21 votes in 41 entry comp cuz it was worth it in my eyes and it was worth as end result.

Underworld Broker and Rohan like this.
  7. Rohan Guest

Interesting. :happymm

Well, nothing can be done on the voting for the current contest, so the variable vote method (That I and Aeryn suggested) could be used as a trial run for the next contest.

Of course final decision goes to the Tri Heads. :maybe

8. Aeryn daydream in blue

Trophy Points
    Keno
    25ლ
    Okay so. I've talked to a few members of staff along with Ningen and I'm going put everything I'm working on currently aside to sort this out. Some of you might not know, but myself and Rohan are the event admins of the forum, and take stuff like this very seriously. We want events and contests to be as fun and fair as possible for all users.

Let me assure you. Your voice has been heard. I know that everyone who has posted in this thread cares about this issue. Together with Rohan, we will devise a new way to tackle AOTW - and future contests - in a way that is unique to SD. It may not be something that you are expecting. It may be flawed to begin with, even. But I'm fairly confident that we can do this in a way that satisfies the needs of those who participate in events & contests on SD.

That being said, don't let this stop you from continuing to discuss the matter. We won't have a proper draft for a while - I'm about to head to bed and I'm pretty sure Rohan has better things to do today then put up with my overwhelming enthusiasm in Google Docs ;D AOTW #11 will continue on schedule, with the current scheme until we are ready to do a test run.

9. Glowbeary Tentacle Taco +.+

Trophy Points
    Keno
    14,542ლ
    Musings but i mean even though AOTW isnt a feedback contest having no votes could lead someone to evaluate their work moreso anyway and be like "what can i change here" but maybe that's just my mindset +.+

10. Gobb

Gobb finds a way

Trophy Points
    Keno
    47,758ლ
    Yeah, but real proper feedback comes from posting stuff in a gfx section and asking for feedback on it. Sure, an amount of votes can make someone re-think what they're doing.

Glowbeary likes this.
  11. Glowbeary Tentacle Taco +.+

Trophy Points
    Keno
    14,542ლ
    Exactly!

Gobb likes this.
  12. poutanko bunny ~ (˵ ゚ヮ゚˵)

Trophy Points
    Keno
    1,199ლ
    Actually multiple votes can help to evaluate someone's work. More people can get votes (albeit less than the winner) and they can use it to see if they get more/less vote with their next one after they change the way they do their work. It will help with the trial and error they do to improve themselves.

It differs from people to people but no vote can dishearten people ._. Also if people keep getting no vote, isn't it more difficult to see if they have improved or not unless they win? With multiple votes it can be like they get 1 vote on the 1st contest, 2 votes on the next one and so on. The amount of votes can be used as indicator if they are getting better compared to if people keep getting 0 - 0 - 0 despite them actually improving.

Compare if people say"you are getting better" but you keep getting 0-0-0 with people say "you are getting better" and you also get 1-2-3 votes (the votes also show that you are indeed improving). It's more encouraging this way, no? ;)

13. Ningen NIngenest of them all

Trophy Points
    Keno
    11,356ლ
    First of all explain me how GFX contests are not for feedback.- Thats a really skewed view you have there.
    If a person wins = THAT IS A FEEDBACK that he was best
    If a person gets 2nd and 3rd = THAT IS A FEEDBACK THAT HE WAS 2nd best and 3rdbest

So how in the world you have arrived at conclusion that GFX contest are not for feedback?

The basic of basic run criteria of GFX contest is
    Compete
    Get Feedback for all
    Improve via said feedback

Repeat till you get good

while you are making it out to be

Compete
    Either take position or get nothing

------
    You are removing the most basic function of GFX contest - Feedback to part takers that where they went wrong and what they need to improve - So they can get better and come in full throttle next time

No you can keep sugarcoating but thats what GFX section is for - But the point is feedback will be never remotely the same or good there as compared to a comp. In GFX section you post your solo works - People judge it on basis of that.
    In competition your work is JUDGED in COMPARISON to others and goes a extra mile in feedback - Look that person did it how and look how you did, thats how you encorporate the said thing and look how it lifted overall feel of it.

There is a reason GFX contests are run - It is for constant best level of feedback to improve yourself and others while getting into rivalry to further boost it.

if there are 10 entries and 1 vote

2-4 will share most votes and get position, then you have 6-7 at 0-1 votes
    What are you convey to them? Oh you 7 are just equally bad while in those 7 there can be a huge gap on skill
    People in the middle plane exist who get hurt most by it, They havent reached pro levels to win but the feedback they get is reduced to beginner level with them not able to get where the **** they went wrong.

Now if 10 entries had 3/4 votes

2-3 will get position again like normal but then 6-7 will have
    some at 4 votes
    some at 2 votes

People clearly GET straight up knowledge on where they stand and first they will try to surpass the immediate threat - aka the 2 4 vote guys will try to leave each other in dust and improve while aiming at higher vote ones
    the 2 votes one will compete with each other and set their immediate aim to surpass who got 4 votes .

People just dont get
    begineer to dayum pro. GFX or ART in general isnt overnight master degree
    it takes time and you need proper feedback in that time to strive for best.

I think I have explained my points pretty damn clear by now

14. Gobb

Gobb finds a way

Trophy Points
    Keno
    47,758ლ
    Yeah, but a vote doesn't say specifically what a user could do to improve in x, y and z way. Voting is feedback, yes, on the overall consensus what people prefer to be most appealing to them, which is entirely subjective. But votes alone without saying anything, isn't really helpful feedback, in the sense that you don't know how you could improve aside from looking at the winners - which is the point I'm trying to make.

15. Ningen NIngenest of them all

Trophy Points
    Keno
    11,356ლ
    I prolly figured this would be the problem and it was
    No you are confusing a simple feedback for CnC aka Comments and Criticism

Normal users do not give CnC

GFXers give CnC

Votes are simplest feedback at level of " people like your stuff, Keep it up man"
    To point what you need to specifically improve is CRITICISM - Thats not in normal users hand to give that solely depends on community GFXers that whether they want to make other soar or want them to keep them down.

Feedback as voting is simpler form of I appreciate your work

What you are doing rn is even Stopping people from EVEN appreciating more then 1 thing with that system.

You are not giving any CnC anyway but you even stop normal people from appreciating the work of someone by limiting them to one vote based on complete false facts and assumptions.

Appreciation motivates you,It makes you strive to improve. You wont get people improve by telling them you are just bad. Which is what your host stated with " I dont want people who are not pro to even enter this contest"

Rohan, Gobb and Nomad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.