1. Hey, Guest! Do you want to chat with us? Then come to the chat thread Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Sugoi Desu, Respected Guest! Please take a moment to register today.

Anime Doukyuusei [Movie] Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Globear, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Globear

Globear Tentacle Taco +.+

Trophy Points
    Keno
    14,490ლ
    "Rihito Sajou is an honor student who got perfect scores in every subject on his high school entrance exam. Hikaru Kusakabe plays guitar in his band that performs at live events and is popular among the girls. These boys would have never crossed paths. But one day Hikaru offers to help Rihito prepare for their upcoming chorus festival and the two begin to talk. As the two meet after school, they feel one another's sound, listen to each other's voice, and begin to harmonize as their hearts beat together.

It starts out slow but soon their feelings for one another grow and in just one moment they both realize that it is love. Hikaru's emotions are frivolous, pure, and direct causing Rihito to hesitate at first, but he gradually opens his heart. The boys are learning about each other as they also learn about themselves and support one another during this difficult time typical to youth. As the time to start thinking about their futures approaches, what do these young men find as they try to move forward..."

Slice of Life, Romance, School, Shounen Ai

This section is so dead 0.0

Anyway I just watched this movie so I decided to write a review on it - I haven't read the manga so I suppose I'm more unbiased? Whatever bwahahahhaa

Story (7/10)

In terms of plot this movie is the basic cookie cutter mold of romance anime - a couple in their final years of school overcome adversity and face the struggles of choosing after-school education in a coming of age tone. It's portrayed well in a series of "mini stories" strung together to make a movie and it's fairly enjoyable. However the running length is only an hour and I rarely hear of an anime under 80mins running time, so there's not a lot of time to get content in resulting in lack of connection with characters and events.
    At times the scenes seem very hazard containing very simplistic dialogue however at the same time the simplicity of it is part of its enchanting charm.
    While the plot and story is nice, engaging and enchanting due to the short running time of this movie the romance element is very rushed and pretty much occurs from the gecko; you don't really find out who the characters were before they were together and that's a strong element of romance anime I personally enjoy.
    It ended the same way it began - rushed and very 'this is what happens and you don't need to think of the characters as individuals' and while it is almost 'weak' in terms of ending it does provide a strong sense of finality - the audience knows that it is the end and things are tied up in like two mins (again both a positive and a negative)

Art(9/10)
    Sticking with the simplistic nature of the story the art style is very plain, with duller tones and not a lot of shading. It really fits the tone of the story, it's pretty and the watcher doesn't feel that it detracts from the story - there's always those anime where the art outdoes the story, and in this case the art ties in well with the story.
    The animation movements are orchestrated well to firmly indicate where something is gag and when it's actually important story content, and there's a nice balance between the two where it isn't so far out of the style but there are clear indications where gag starts and where gag ends.
    The character designs of the main characters fairly fit in the realms of the other characters, there isn't any real stark difference besides from the 'rebel' main character who sports bright blonde hair with orange tones, however that is attributed to his personality and works well in that sense.
    Actually, all of the rebel's closest friends have stand outy looks which I suppose is to show that they are "different" from the quieter other main character, but this isn't really explored too much.

Characters (8/10)
    The series is set in 'our' reality and it's pleasing to see the characters reflect that, the main characters and all the characters have fleshed out personalities with wants, hopes, likes and dislikes yet due to timing there is a limit to how much each is explored.
    Certain character dynamics are barely explored, however, such as the two main characters and their interactions with their teacher; who is a key symbolism of adversity throughout the movie and had there been more time i'm sure there would have been more scenes containing him.
    The character's reactions while also being grounded in reality aren't explored that much, there are at least two times when something major happens and a character reacts to it yet it's quickly abandoned in seconds to move on to the next phase of the story. It makes the character's relatable in my eyes and that's probably the biggest fault this movie has - it has all the elements of an amazing movie yet as soon as key moments start the movie moves on, there's no commitment to scenes and actions.
    We also don't see the characters change much, in terms of an individual scale they're the same how they begin yet they supposedly "grow" together which doesn't make much sense.
    The teacher is probably the most important supporting character, and easily my favourite character in the movie, he's literally the threads of string that string everything together but it's not openly explored or referenced to really which is a bit of a let down, but the fact that one is present that does appear throughout the movie is a redeeming factor.

Enjoyment (8/10)
    I think this movie is easily enjoyed and easily watched even with its issues, however, if one isn't into boy-love/yaoi this movie is a clear steer. While it's not necessarily "in your face" the romance is the key point of this movie so I think it would be hard to enjoy this movie without enjoying yaoi.
    Due to the common tropes and plot shared with many series, I think it's a fairly open watch; it's not going to be anything you haven't watched before and has a semi-decent rewatch value.
    I personally wouldn't buy the movie for my personal collection but I'm sure as hell happy to stream it again, it's an hour well spent and not lost.
    But what the movie doesn't do is make me want to read the manga, I probably will read it, but it doesn't make me want to read it.

Even with a few major flaws this movie has/had potential and is fairly enjoyable.

Overall Score: 8/10